Cannon Hill Park
Cannon Hill Park was donated to the citizens of Birmingham by Miss Louisa Ryland expressing her wish that the Park would prove a source of healthful recreation to the people of Birmingham, and that they would aid in the protection and preservation of what is now their property.
It was opened to visitors in 1873 and is made up of 80 acres of formal parkland and 120 acres of conservation and woodland plantation.
Cannon Hill Park has successfully achieved Green Flag status for the past 14 years. The Green Flag award scheme recognises and rewards the best green spaces in the country. The park presents a variety of opportunities for recreation. The large grass arena is ideal for children and family play and there are plenty of beautiful spots for picnicking with two children’s play areas close by.
There are 5 tennis courts, a bowling green and a brand new 36 hole crazy course At the Pershore Road end of the park is Birmingham Wildlife Park. The Park homes a wide range of animals, including charismatic and exciting species like Meerkats, Lemurs, Red Pandas, Golden Lion Tamarins, Ocelots, Yellow Breasted Capuchin Monkeys and Otters. It has a large collection of endangered reptiles and plays an important role in international breeding programmes for them.
The Park is a full member of the British and Irish Association of Zoos and Aquaria (BIAZA) and the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA).